Saturday, February 26, 2011

2-26-11 Thoughts from Places: Lenora

Back home I watch these videos on YouTube by John and Hank Green (two brothers who basically make videos for fun now. They are Vlogbrothers on YouTube if you feel like looking them up) called “Thoughts from Places,” the title more or less explains what they´re about.

I've decided to give the style a try. It´s more to show the internal thoughts of the trip, than “this is what we've been doing” side.

Today we took two buses to get to another small town, which I forget the name of, to visit a few organic farms and hike a little bit. We had to stand on the first bus, as we had to do the last time. It´s one of the earlier ones, so it's jam packed with people going to work. Before this trip I had never really used any public bus system.

So on this particular bus ride, I was smushed between Giovanni, one of our new Costa Rican friends, and Sam. I was having an easier time standing this time, since the last time I was stumbling all over the place whenever the bus stopped or slowed down. It was a slightly overcast morning, which made me think of the time I lived in Mississippi when I was younger; actually, when I had woken up this morning, I had thought I was in Mississippi and then had to remind myself where I was. Everything always seems to be much more vivid when it´s cloudy and all of the plants and buildings we passed looking like they were newly printed photos rather than real life.

Something that tends to happen when I´m in a bus or a car, is I end up thinking way too much, or at least that's what I do when I don't fall asleep; which is another thing that happens. So here I was, standing in a bus packed like sardines, and was hanging on to yellow bar above my head for dear life, and I started thinking about adventures.

On the first day we were in Costa Rica, when I was experiencing some public bus system culture shock, I had decided that this trip was my adventure. The funny thing about adventures, is that you don´t normally know you've gone on one until you write your award winning memoir. A lot of the time adventurers aren't even the type of swash-bucking, fast paced movie adventure like you wanted. It could be as simple as getting lost in San Jose or even simpler, waking up ten minutes before you're supposed to go to breakfast.

To get back to what I was saying, I started thinking about adventures again. As you know, at this point we've all been in Costa Rica for about a week and life has been moving pretty fast. Once the initial excitement dies down and the heat and daily life begins to set in, you begin to feel rather tired. I guess this is true for life at home as well, but here it's a different type.

Something I, myself, haven´t really thought about is whether you can get tired of being on an adventure or not. Yeah, it is mentioned in books, but it never really comes up when you´re a 15 year old girl who is a tad bit tired of going to school, doing homework and having a daily schedule to worry about.

This tired is mostly a mix of exhaustion, homesickness, and just plain not being able to adjust to the heat. I've been seeing it in most everyone, to certain degrees. It´s worse with some people than others.

I began to wonder if everyone was just getting tired of their adventure, or felt like it wasn't moving forward. I don´t know, and can´t speak for any body, since I can´t read minds; but this is something I've been seeing.

I wouldn't worry too much though. We´re all doing fine, and are having a good time, when we aren't getting bitten by bugs. The bugs definitely make us wish we were home, where mosquitoes only come out during the summer.

I´ll probably chase down either Starla or Cordelia to write a blog tomorrow and Sam said she wanted to write another as well. I´m also still working out my non-fiction writing style, so bear with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment